Sunday, June 26, 2011

THE VALLEY...

i am not much of a history buff but when my husband and I visited Valley Forge National Park in Pennsylvania recently, I was absolutely enamored with this place and its tales of George Washington's Encampment along with his soldiers during the Revolutionary War in the winter of 1777-1778. 

i captured this shot while Rob was driving through the long stretch of road on the inner drive of the park...God always sees to it that I get the best view...


i brought along a cooler with fresh strawberries, watermelon, sandwiches, magazines and this crocheted blanket that I found at the thrift for $3.99. Romantic setting right?


we set  up our blanket along with the pups and settled under a big shady tree away from the other people having picnics, playing softball and hiking along the outer trails. 

as soon as we began to settle in, we were swarmed by ANNOYING LITTLE GNATS...all I wanted to do was sip my wine, lie back and read my mags.  So I got up and took a little stroll over yonder with the pups hoping to get away from the swarm.  Thrifted vintage dress, $5.99 goodwill.

this material is paper thin and so lightweight that I have to wear a slip with it....a vintage cotton slip of course...

so we found a picnic table nearby and ate our lunch...not what I had in mind but we made the best of it.  We took a drive within the park's inner roadway to explore the natural habitat of the wildlife and saw a mama and her fawn...so beautiful.  I was just smitten...


next time we go to Valley Forge, this will be a definite activity for Rob and I.  Pups will have to sit this one out...

i wear this dress on my really feeling bloated days....it is so comfortable...

i actually felt tall here because these small log structures housed George Washington's Soldiers in the winter of 1777-1778.  They housed 12 soldiers to a building and had a stone fireplace in each. They had no actual doors but a piece of material hung to cover the doorway back then.. now they are gated and locked but you can see inside.  They smell of smoke from the fireplaces...


the antlers on this deer were the most beautiful thing I had seen in a long time...I was just amazed at how soft, and fuzzy they appeared, their texture resembled a soft gray moss...

notice the door has a metal grate with a lock to secure the original wooden bunks, ladders and fireplaces within...amazing.  I felt like Laura Ingles Wilder from Little House on the Prairie....



this cowboy was just out strolling the grounds.  He came down the long inner road pictured behind him...of course I asked him if Rob could take a photo...he obliged.  He brought his horse from Reading Pennsylvania for a stroll through the park...this place is full of adventure...he was a shy cowboy....but very nice  http://www.nps.gov/vafo/index.htm check it out.
 


I hope you enjoyed my adventure with Rob and the pups.  I will definitely visit Valley Forge again in the Fall when the bugs are not so rampant...have a great Sunday and or Monday...Dawn xo


7 comments:

two birds said...

beautiful beautiful beautiful photos!!! the one of the deer and fawn made me tear up a bit! so sweet. and you look gorgeous, of course. i love your dress!

Debbie Baker Burns said...

Dawn, You snapped some beautiful deer pictures. We go to Cade's Cove in Tennessee with the old cabins and the like but we have never seen this many deer. The momma and baby deer shot is great. And I love your vintage dress; it's so pretty on you. Debbie http://thriftygirlvintage.com

Marie Pech said...

oh.my.GOSH! i am in love with this place(from your pics). i think luke would love the history! we should definitely hit that up in the fall with you guys :) i have been in such a rut with my blogging. too much summer laziness! i'll get on it this week :) meanwhile, have a great week dawn!

Tanyabell said...

how fun! that cowboy pic is adorable!!!!

LaToya said...

What awesome pics! I love your dress, very cool design on it. And you by the log cabin is something out of a magazine. Looks like a relaxing time! I've been to PA acouple times for trains shows with my then bf. Nice place to visit. Oh yeah loveeeeee the pups!!!!

Hugs,
http://achameleonscloset.blogspot.com/

my thrifty closet said...

what a beautiful place. So laid back and serene. You look beautiful in that dress.


love~mongs
mythriftycloset.blogspot.com

Eileen said...

I love valley forge, I like to roll down the hills, did that a few years ago with pablo's mother and we couldn't stop laughing, we had all the cottonwood crap stuck to us and our hair was a hoot.the chiwas love the trails, and one time, Chico was coming off the trail and tried to get into a park policeman's car, it was hysterical, Chico had enough, his legs hurt, the policeman was not amused. I told the policeman that Chico cannot read and he thought it was the van. We had to put him and all the chiwas on a leash.

“The only real failure in life is the failure to try.”

“The only real failure in life is the failure to try.”