Monday, July 26, 2010

MEMORY JUG.....






I have always been fascinated by memory jugs that were popular in the Victorian era as they tell a story about a person that has passed away. The jugs or vessels were adorned with many trinkets including shells, buttons, coins, glass, and other things that were reminders of loved ones. They have been found on graves in the South serving as a grave marker or headstone for poor people. I discovered these embellished jugs while antiquing many years ago and actually made one. I searched through my "junk" and found things that were representative of my life and passions and glued them to a jug but I didn't like the result as it looked "too new" . Then about 2 years ago I found a book called Art Making, Collections and Obsessions by Lynne Perrella one of my most favorite collage artists. She featured an artist named Laurie Zuckerman who makes memory jugs as an art form. Her work is amazing and inspirational. I am going to try this project again hopefully with more success this time...don't discard your junk (shells, buttons, earrings, bottle caps, dog tags, beads, jewelry, keys, small glass bottles, baby spoons, favorite broken dish, tea cup parts, and anything else that is of value to you but don't have use for, MAKE A MEMORY JUG!!!!! via: Art Making, Collections & Obsessions Laurie Zuckerman 1st, 2nd 3rd photos, Karen Fischer 4th photo, Smithsonian Art Museum 5th photo.

2 comments:

LAURIE BETH ZUCKERMAN said...

Hello, this is Laurie Zuckerman. Google just sent me a message about your post regarding my memory jugs in Lynne Perrella's books. Thank you for the very nice plug and photos. By the way, the third photo is by Karen Fischer, one of my memory jug workshop students.

Two things, I have a Memory Jug book on CD that you might enjoy, with all kinds of instructions and images, if you do decide to make some yourself.

Second, you may not have my blog website address.

http://lauriezuckerman.blogspot.com/

Stop by when you have time.

LAURIE BETH ZUCKERMAN said...

Sorry, I meant the fourth photo showing four sides of Karen Fischer's memory jug. The fifth picture is from the Smithsonian Art Museum's collection of vintage memory jugs.

“The only real failure in life is the failure to try.”

“The only real failure in life is the failure to try.”